Thursday, June 23, 2011

Crisis


I haven’t dealt with a per say “crisis” since leaving Liberty. I’ve had a few different ones to deal with this past year and I guess the best way of putting with them is I err “deal” with them as they come. 
Today at work it was the lunch rush and pretty busy. I noticed that there were two ladies bent over on the ground and I thought that one of them had slipped. Well, before I knew it my coworker and manager were over there and I saw there was someone else on the ground passed out (it’s difficult to see because of the counter). I was stunned in the moment…wasn’t sure if I should go help or what had happened. I mean I’m not the most equipped in dealing with medical needs, but I know the basics. After making a split second decision that crowding her was probably not the best idea and my coworker showed that he was equipped in a medical emergency. I knew my job was crowd control. In a sense I had to tell myself to pretend like nothing was going on and continue taking orders so that the crowd doesn’t do more harm than good. This was hard for me, mainly because I was slightly shaking and what scared me even more was it was completely silent. All 20 people in line or so were just watching what was going on and no one was talking. Going from very noisy to nothing in seconds is noticeable… I asked for grace in the moment and continued my job realizing it was the best thing I could do. 
I realized a few things today…My heart rate sure goes up in crisis situations. It’s a rush, not the kind I like to say the least. I am no where near absent from crisis situations. I’m going to deal with them next year. I pray I won’t but reality is, I will. I just have to jump into crisis mode and make quick decisions and go…Process later. It gets easier to deal with those kind of situations the more they come, but I don’t want to be a doctor or anything like that…On the flip-side I wish I was trained in medical needs so I could help people better. Then the other realizations- my future job is ALL about crisis situations. Making quick important, split-second decisions, mixing logic, emotion, reality, all my knowledge and knowing what role I play and doing it with excellence. I just feel like I’ll never be prepared ENOUGH for what will come. That’s why I’m so glad God’s grace is enough. Always. 

No comments:

Post a Comment