Yes the title says it all. I have decided to not eat meat for a month. I have had this idea floating around in my mind for a little while now. Let me explain. My birthday was on July 12th (which was such an awesome day!! I have the best family and friends in the world!!) and I go back to school on August 13th, thus I thought about what I could do for my last full month of summer, something I wouldn't normally do. While sky diving, cliff jumping, and fish walking were all ideas I thought about I some how settled for not eating meat and go "vegetarian" for a month. But because I decided that I would allow fish in my diet, the proper term that I have been informed of is "pescatarian," or according to wikipedia, "pesco-vegetarian." Now you may be wondering why I would do this to myself? And I was wondering the same thing. I think there are many reasons, and it basically all boils down to one thing- discipline. I read a quote recently that stated, "Discipline is not something you do to yourself. Rather it is something you do for yourself." When it's all said in done, I want to be able to be in the habit of saying no because I can. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE meat. I could care less about saving animals, tree hugging, or any other reason people go vegetarian. I just want to see how much discipline I have to make a daily decision to not eat meat. And overall, that shouldn't be a hard thing. The only problem that it really comes down to is I work at Chick-Fil-A between 5 and 6 days a week...and I felt the difference on my first break yesterday after I had an internal argument with myself if I was even gonna follow through with the whole ordeal. I figured if I could say no to Coke Zero (see video on fb for more details) I guess I could say no to meat. And hey, it's only a month.
You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you so that you might go and bear fruit—fruit that will last—and so that whatever you ask in my name the Father will give you. This is my command: Love each other. - John 15:16-17
Wednesday, July 14, 2010
The Diary of Pescatarian
Yes the title says it all. I have decided to not eat meat for a month. I have had this idea floating around in my mind for a little while now. Let me explain. My birthday was on July 12th (which was such an awesome day!! I have the best family and friends in the world!!) and I go back to school on August 13th, thus I thought about what I could do for my last full month of summer, something I wouldn't normally do. While sky diving, cliff jumping, and fish walking were all ideas I thought about I some how settled for not eating meat and go "vegetarian" for a month. But because I decided that I would allow fish in my diet, the proper term that I have been informed of is "pescatarian," or according to wikipedia, "pesco-vegetarian." Now you may be wondering why I would do this to myself? And I was wondering the same thing. I think there are many reasons, and it basically all boils down to one thing- discipline. I read a quote recently that stated, "Discipline is not something you do to yourself. Rather it is something you do for yourself." When it's all said in done, I want to be able to be in the habit of saying no because I can. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE meat. I could care less about saving animals, tree hugging, or any other reason people go vegetarian. I just want to see how much discipline I have to make a daily decision to not eat meat. And overall, that shouldn't be a hard thing. The only problem that it really comes down to is I work at Chick-Fil-A between 5 and 6 days a week...and I felt the difference on my first break yesterday after I had an internal argument with myself if I was even gonna follow through with the whole ordeal. I figured if I could say no to Coke Zero (see video on fb for more details) I guess I could say no to meat. And hey, it's only a month.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
good luck my friend! ps i am stealing your quote i love it!
ReplyDelete