Monday, November 19, 2012

Put it in the blog

Here is some Pico trivia. A prize will be awarded to the right answer...and by prize I mean a hearty pat on the back :) 

Where is my favorite spot in D.C to go? 

Trick question. I have a few. It depends upon what the spot means to me. For instance, my all-time favorite memorial in D.C. is WWII. I love the fountain where you shouldn't put your feet in during the summer to cool off, the unity of America with all the states, the history present, and the fact that it's smack in the middle of Abe and the pencil. 

If you were to ask me where my favorite look-out is, by all means it's the Kennedy Center. The sunsets on that building are breathtaking overlooking the Potomac. 

Favorite place to eat? Qdoba across from the FBI around the corner from H&M and more historically known, Fords Theatre. 

However, in the midst of the concrete jungle lies a real wild place- my all-time favorite spot in D.C.--the zoo. There is a category for this one....  And by zoo I mean more specifically the lions. I can't get enough of watching them. Despite the fact that D.C. has any history buffs and government majors ultimate heaven with incredible museums that literally house history that made this country, watching the lions are still my favorite spot. 

I decided this a few years ago. I can't remember when, but I just remember the lions pouncing on each other in a playful way. I read the little placard and found out they are social beings. My love for watching lions being lions has even made me like cats a bit. That's saying something because I could barely pet a cat. I'm a dog person. 

Today I ventured on out to the zoo with my lovely friends Patrice and Sheila. Despite the fact I've been to the zoo several times I can't quite get enough. If you find something good, keep it up. 

Several times throughout our adventure through the different exhibits watching the animals in a facade of their natural habit, we joked about starting a blog to put our thoughts and emotions about life. We coined the phrase "put it in the blog" as a comeback to the conversations and perspective. 

So yes, this a post partly dedicated that notion and partly because it's break and I tend to write a blog post on break. 

In my senior year at Liberty the lovely question in life is "What's next?" That, I don't know. But what I do know is I will be moving back to nova. And by back, I mean moving here for real--not just an extended stay during the summer months. 

I told my mom the other day that moving was a weird transition, especially being in college. I moved to nova, went to college, went back to Charlotte several times. My home has been three homes over the past few years. 

These years are a very unsettling time of life. But not always with a bad connotation. They are adventurous. New. Exciting. Different.

Yet, they are change nonetheless. My first summer here was one of change...then my second summer was change but in a way more exciting way. I experienced D.C. this past summer and remembered the reason I fell in love with it when I was 16 and I overlooked the Capitol during a rooftop dinner and realized that I would one day come back here and live. I don't think I realized it would come so soon, but then again, timing kind of happens. 

All that to say. Graduation is nearing in several months. And with that a new leaf. I am not quite ready to grow up, nor do I think I ever will. (You are reading a post from a girl who just went on a rant about how much I love watching lions at the zoo). But what I do know is that of all places for my family to move, I was blessed by the fact that two friends I met in my first few weeks at Liberty are returning to nova as well to begin life after Liberty. 

...so I'm putting it in the blog :) Today was a refreshing day filled with laughter and a good break in adventurous city watching animals play and being ridiculous. As Thanksgiving nears, and by Thanksgiving, I mean the Harvest celebration. I am thankful for fun days like today where I'm reminded of God's grace and sovereignty in my life in the little and big details. 

No comments:

Post a Comment