Saturday, November 27, 2010

Thanks Lorraine

My first car, Lorraine Irene Pico, a 1990 Buick La Saber, is quite the car. She has her quirks to say the least such as how to lock the doors, the windows, not having a tape player that worked (solution- i bought speakers and plugged my i-pod in). I got her for a dollar while in high school. As much as I would have loved to have air conditioning and windows that went down (both drivers side windows don't go down, but the other ones do. however, for the passenger side in order to get the window down you have to press the down button on that side and direct it with the drivers side) she overall was amazing. For the summer I had a sweet fan that mainly blew hot air, but it was still nice to have. I also been known to drive with ice packs and lots of water.

This summer I took her into the shop for the first and last time ever when she was deemed un-fixable and un-safe to drive..oops!

We have been meaning to junk her for some cash but my parents have not gotten around to it yet. It's okay though, because honestly even though I can't drive her anywhere I like being able to look outside my window and know that she's out there. I know I use pronouns to describe her, but I feel because she's such an old car Lorraine had such a personality...she's my little Herbie.

I have had a pretty tough semester, full of ups and downs, but I don't think anyone could have warned me for the change sophomore year brings. I have had moments where I really just wanted to give up. Even last night where I said to God--really? My life is devoted to discipling 6 girls. Sometimes I feel like I don't have a social life apart from that...I'm tired, I'm stressed, I have homework, I want to give up. He gently reminded my: you gave me your life and said use it for my glory. I have you where I want you and will give you grace to do anything you need to. Come find rest in me. Psalm 62.

I think if I didn't have Thanksgiving break I don't know if I would have been able to make it to the end of the semester. I was so stressed that I was becoming physically ill, with migraine headaches, stomach problems, sleep deprived etc. I really don't know.


But Thanksgiving break did come and I am grateful for that. I had the opportunity to have some good alone time at home...On Tuesday my family was out and about and I decided to workout inside and then I went for a run outside. It was so freeing and rejuvenating to run under the blue skies in the sunshine in almost 70 degree weather in November! Ahh. I came back to my house and decided to sit on the back of Lorraine and I laid down in the sun.

I don't know how long I was there for, but it was quite sometime. I began to think about my life and count my blessings and just be thankful to the Lord for who He is, for the opportunities I have had, for the amazing people He has put in my life, for everything...I felt the tendency to sulk in self-pity as well though, but I sat up and looked at the trunk of the car where I had put bumper stickers this summer. There are three: one with a someone riding a bike, playing frisbee, and in a hot tub. Each of them read "Life is Good." I couldn't help but smile thinking about how good my life is and how much I enjoy each of those activities and how refreshing they are. I continued to lay in the sun, count my blessings, and remembered- Life is good and I have such a loving God!

Even if Lorraine isn't drivable anymore, I am grateful for the moments I can have with her still. Time of quietness and the ability to be refreshed.

Life is good.

1 comment:

  1. Every good and perfect gift comes down from the Father of lights!!! Even Lorraine! :-) Love you, miss you!!! Praying the next few weeks will go smoothly! Can't wait to go biking, hiking, joggin??

    ReplyDelete