Monday, May 10, 2010

Packing the Boxes

I wrote this right before I left for college last year and it's pretty cool how it is constantly applying to life. The first part of it will apply to leaving school while the second applies to my returning back at home. Enjoy!



I’m a pro at packing up the boxes, but the good-byes never get easier.

If you allow yourself to get close to someone, it makes it even harder to leave. But in all honesty, if it wasn’t hard to say goodbye then something was missing from the friendship. It’s hard to say goodbye, but what I love about goodbyes, is that it allows an opportunity to experience something apart from that person who has carried you for so long. It doesn’t mean that you are saying goodbye forever or will never connect or see that person ever again, or that they won’t be there for you. It’s a chance to see who you are and how much that person means to you when they aren’t there for every moment. As many goodbyes that I have said in my short 18 years, I don’t regret the sadness and recollection of memories as I say my farewell. It’s the process of packing the boxes and starting over again. It’s inevitable. And with the numerous goodbyes that I have spoken, I would do it over again despite the immense feelings and desire to not leave. Because in that moment I know that in time everything will work out. I know that the friendship that I have with the other person can, and will, pass the distance and the act of saying goodbye. I know that distance, although a major factor, is only an excuse if I make it one. I know that a phone call, email, text, or letter is available to reconnect with the other person. I know that both people will have to make the effort to keep the friendship. But I also know that both people are going to change a great deal while being apart. I won’t stay the same, and neither will you. Both of us will change. That is also inevitable. But the beauty of friendship is that despite the distance, the changing, the birth of new friendships, and making new memories; our friendship will always be because of the memories, the trust, and the ability to be vulnerable with one another.

No comments:

Post a Comment